Saturday, August 23, 2014

This music is giving me the feels... Bastille

     


     Ok, ok, so you know who Bastille is, right? They sing Pompeii, that super popular song on the radio?
If you still don't know who they are, search that shit up. Do it now.
     As it often happens I was pretty neutral about this group. I liked Pompeii, but a YouTube search of their songs didn't help their case. Until I gave them a real listen and realized they were wonderful and that I need to stop making jump judgements about music. 
     Lyrically, they're a powerhouse of intelligent messages. Creatively, just listen to the plethora of covers they've made to see that they've got a style all their own that's modern but not noisy. I'm going to risk sounding like an old geezer, but that's my problem with a lot of music these days- you end up with a bunch of beeps and contrived bass drops. Not Bastille, they use the electronic stuff to compliment their songs, not drown them out.
Here's a list of my favorite songs so far:
1. Pompeii (duh)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F90Cw4l-8NY

2. No Angels (a cover of No Scrubs by TLC. Wow, just wow.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JjXAZlaelA

3. Flaws (the lyrics)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDoU-gE2AXA

4. Oblivion (also the lyrics)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZYisBWNtO0

5.Things We Lost in the Fire (ditto on the lyrics)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYRqIAuY9IQ

6. We Can't Stop cover (this is incredible)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXyghHCJOT8

     Note that I'm still in the process of discovering them, so if anyone has suggestions let me know in the comments. It doesn't have to be about Bastille only, either. Let's discover beautiful music together!
Much Love,
                   Vicky


No comments:

Post a Comment