Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Eek! College: The First Week.

      So you know that part of psycho when Jack Nicholson axes a whole in the door, sticks his face in it and says "Heeeere's Johnny!"?
       That's what starting college felt like. Like some person just axed down my door and said: "Heeeeere's college, responsiblity, new people, job searches and money problems!"
  
     So that's why I haven't gotten around to blogging til just now: college. I started this Monday and can I just say that I am soo much more relaxed now at the end of the week than I was the night before school. The night before school found me freaking out, lying in bed staring at the ceiling desperately trying to combat my sudden insomnia. Then, after a few hours of sleep, my alarm rang, I rolled out of bed and faced the day.
    A few tips to help if you're going to college: 
1. Really try to go to sleep. I personally only function well on 10 hours of sleep (excessive, I know, but true). You want to be on your top game on any important day, so try to sleep. You might not be able to, but at least you gave it a good shot.
2. Get there early. Actually, go there a week early and find your classes ahead of time. Then, get to school early before your class so you can situate yourself or use the bathroom or whatever.
3. Don't sit in the very back. It makes it seem that you don't care, so make a good impression and try to sit from the middle and on upward.
4. Use that long lunch break. I have four whole hours (!!!) so I used it to explore the campus, find my other classes, and memorize the best study spots in the library. 
5. Don't freak out if you're by yourself. In class, this is when you can make new friends. Out of class, it's not like high school where wandering around or sitting by yourself was weird. In all honesty, no one cares if you have lunch by yourself, these are adults with their own lives who sometimes have lunch by themselves, too.
6. Keep the makeup to a minimum. Look put together, but forgo the smokey eye in favor of something more natural and heat proof. You'll be doing a ton of walking, you don't want your face sliding off. However, make sure you feel comfortable  with how you look. Now is not the time to be stressing because you skipped a step you use on the regular.
7. Bring a sweater. I live in Florida, the sunshine state... which is bullshit. Yea, there's sunshine but what we have even more of is humidity. Still, I was wearing a cardigan all of last week because while the outside is a hot subtropical hell, the classrooms are arctic. Thus, be prepared! Bring a sweater!

So, yeah, just a few tips to make the transition from summer to college (or any school) a little smoother. Hopefully, my college experience will just keep getting better. Keep your fingers crossed!
Much Love, 
                   Vicky


No comments:

Post a Comment