Sunday, October 18, 2015

Fall Makeup: Copper Eyes

 


 To everyone who doesn't live in a subtropical zone... Congratulations! It's fall! The air is brisk, the leaves are turning colors and you get to start layering your clothes again. As for me, I'm going to just pretend it's not 84 degrees outside and sip on my pumpkin spice latte.
     Despite the only sign of autumn being the legions of birds that have converged over my house Hitchcock style, I've decided to be the change I want to see (the change in season, at least) and post an autumnal, coppery eye look. If you want to know how I did it, read on. (I'll be listing the products I used next to the instructions, but feel free to use what you have.)
1. Prime your eyelids. (ELF's eyelid primer).
2. Place a copper cream eye shadow over the outer half of your eye, up to but not in the crease. Make sure to keep the color vibrant! (ELF's eyeliner and shadow stick in brown/basic)
3. Set the cream eye color with a similar powder shadow. Layering creams and powders help increase the longevity of the makeup. (I used a sparkly copper eye shadow from one of ELF's 32 piece holiday eye shadow palettes. Needless to say it doesn't have a name, so just use the closest match to the cream eye shadow you used before.)
4. Using a shimmering champagne shade, place in the inner corner and blend towards the center of the lid. It should meet the copper shadow. (Yet another eye shadow from the ELF palette, but champagne eye shadows are pretty easy to find.)
5. Blend the two colors together with a clean brush. The copper shouldn't lose it's vibrancy and both colors should stay mainly concentrated where you first placed them, but it should look like a gradient... ya feel?
6. With a small shadow brush, use a medium, cool-toned brown shadow in the outer "V" and crease, transitioning the copper color up to the brow bone. Blend out in a slightly winged shape. The cooler tones we're using in the crease keep the copper from being overwhelming. (Maybelline's the Nudes palette, 2nd shade from the left on the lower row)
7. We're going to deepen the crease slightly, so, using the same brush, take a dark grey and place it in the outer "V" and crease. Be a little more sparing with the shadow and keep it concentrated towards the outer corner. It shouldn't blend out as far as the brown. (Maybelline's the Nudes palette, last shade from the left on the upper row).
8. Taking a smaller brush, run the brown shadow from step 6 to smoke out the outer half of the lower lash line.
9. Using a black liquid eyeliner, create a dramatic wing. My best advice is to practice your liner before hand, apply it slowly and carefully, and work in small strokes. If liquid liners still a pain, you can use a pencil liner smudged into the outer half of your upper lash line. (NYC Liquid Liner)
10. You want big, dramatic lashes for this night time look, so layer it on to taste and then comb out the clumps with a clean spoolie. (Covergirl's the Supersizer mascara).

     I wore this look to a benefit held at an art gallery, and I gave my whole appearance a 90's spin that night. I took the above picture after I'd already gotten home and gotten into my pajamas (which is proof of how long-lasting the eye makeup was). Besides the choker I'm wearing in the photo, I also rocked a purple lip to go with a little purple backpack I sported along with a halter crop-top and high-waisted shorts. The benefit wasn't anything fancy, so I thought I'd have fun with it. I hope that you have as good a time wearing this makeup as I did!

Love,
     Vicky


No comments:

Post a Comment