Why haven't I written about this before? I spend more time on Netflix than I care to admit, the topic of movies should have come up before. Oh, well. Anyway, so every once in a while I feel like torturing my single soul by watching some smarmy, wonderful romances. If you also want to do the same, here are some of my favorites (in no particular order, picking a favorite would be like picking a favorite child):
1. Funny Face: A light musical comedy with Audrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire. *squee*
2. 10 Things I Hate About You: The only version of The Taming of the Shrew that isn't horribly sexist. Kat is my freaking feminist hero. Also, HEATH LEDGER.
3. Sabrina: The original and the remake are both magical. The original has Audrey Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart, which seems unbeatable. However, the remake with Harrison Ford has its own personality and is just as good in its own way.
4. Pride and Prejudice: Aughhhhhhhhomgggg. This movie is so beautiful in every way. The scenery/costuming is gorgeous, the soundtrack is lush, and the acting is perfect. Watch it and you'll understand why it reduces me to a quivering mess. #MrDarcyForLife
5. Jane Eyre: The new one with Michael Fassbender. So... Jane Eyre is my favorite heroine.I might write a post expressing my love of the book. This being said, I like this adaptation a lot. It stays true to the book in character (aka, it nails the dark, gothic romance *feel* right on the head) and the performances by Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender are subtle but so powerful.
6. Love Story: You're going to need a jar of Nutella when you watch this classic. It gets a rating of "T" for tears guaranteed.
7. An Affair to Remember: So, yes, you might cry. But the ending makes everything worth it... or does it? WATCH IT AND FIND OUT.
8. Amelie: It's French and it's quirky with a capital Q. A masterpiece.
9. She's All That: It's not a 90's movie without Freddie Prinze Jr. and a dramatic makeover. This movie is SO cheesy in the best way.
10. When Harry Met Sally: This is THE romantic comedy. All of the mainstays of modern rom-coms originated in this, the Godfather of cheese and stomach-butterfly inducing romance.
So. I know that most of what I just wrote wasn't entirely grammatically correct and I used an excessive amount of expressive punctuation, but that's just proof of how much I love these movies. I probably skipped something important, but such is life. If anyone has their own recommendations feel free to use the comment section!
Love,
Vicky
No comments:
Post a Comment